Monday, February 13, 2012

Music that moves

Here's the thing, I was hesitant about posting this, because I know most of you won't like this kind of music.  Screaming is an immediate turn off to a lot of people.  Honestly, that's kind of unfortunate.

Imagine the times when you were most emotional, you were either: sobbing, yelling at someone, or yelling at God.  Yelling is a very emotionally strong thing to do.  Granted, this is hardly metal or anything at all, it's mostly spoken word, with a little screaming, but you would scream too if this was something you had to experience.

Another thing that makes this music undesirable to a lot of people is the story is sad.  People don't like something if it isn't feel good.  Sorry, this isn't another generic song about love, this is a heartfelt, depressing song about some journal entries a parent made while their son was fighting cancer.

Lately, I've learned to love music that is really well thought out, that moves my heart, that makes me feel what the singer feels.  This song and a few others have moved me, almost to tears.  I love that the music does more than sound good, it makes my heart hurt and sometimes it makes my heart elated.

This song is called I See Everything and it's written by La Dispute.


The song moves me because the kid has to go through all the hard things a 7 year old shouldn't have to go through.  However, at the end, he passes away and is freed from the cancer.  His last words are "I see everything."  The parent is left, faithless and struggling and the last thing the parent says is "my eyes are closed."  What do you think the final words mean?  The ending is kind of bittersweet.  I hope you enjoyed it.


1 comment:

  1. "Another thing that makes this music undesirable to a lot of people is the story is sad. People don't like something if it isn't feel good."

    Well-said. Reminds me a bit of "Vanus Empty" by Dead Poetic. "But suicide's something we'd rather not mention here--in our--beautiful world--of saving face."

    ReplyDelete